Here is an explanation in Kid Language: Since Jesus' followers were lonely for Him, because he went up to Heaven a little while after Easter, His Father sent the Holy Spirit to be with their hearts and ours. The Holy Spirit is the third person in the trinity: The Father, Son and . . . Holy Spirit. We can't love and worship Jesus and God without the Holy Spirit. They all go together. The Holy Spirit appeared as tongues of fire Pentecost Sunday, just like our hearts are on fire with love for Jesus. Pentecost is also the birthday of the Catholic Church.
After discussion, read The Descent of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2) in the Catholic Bible you choose.
Here are some possible questions to ask your children/students, that range from remembering, to evaluating (for older children):
- What sounds did the disciples, under Peter's direction, hear?
- What happened to the Catholic Church when the Holy Spirit had been seen by the disciples?
- Explain what Peter meant by saying, "Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, to have your sins forgiven."
- Did Christ's disciples become baptized?
- How would you react to Peter's words and to the descent of the Holy Spirit? Would you be inspired? What would you be inspired to do?