Sunday, February 10, 2013

We Live our Faith in our Homes ~ Laundry 101



If you are like me, you have been waiting with bated breath for a laundry post. We may need to get out of our houses more often.   However, I  will not apologize for my passion for laundry.   I love the smell of  my home when I am washing clothes.  I love leaving my precisely folded piles out for a short while so that I can happily observe their perfectness, and force my children to smell the fresh towels.  

Today we shall discuss wrinkle free clothing.  Seven sets of eyes just rolled, and a wave of nausea traveled through my house.  I WILL DIGRESS!  My mother-in-law passed down a laundry secret that I will treasure forever.  It allows me to store away my iron.  After you wash a laundry load that has been pre-treated and washed in the appropriate temperature, promptly remove clothing from washer.  Check items for unremoved stains.  Clean "dryer safe" items should be placed in the dryer on low-medium setting.  Safe items include cottons and blends, not wool.  Stained items are NOT dryer safe, as the stain will set.  I set a missed stain aside and pre-treat/wash it again.  

Set  the dryer timer. After ten to fifteen minutes, remove items, such as shirts and pants that are not denim.  Fleece sweatshirts and sweatpants should be removed to avoid static cling.  Denim should be dried an additional ten minutes, but do not fully dry jeans.  Snap clothing out, button-down shirts need buttoning, zip and snap pants, straighten collars and cuffs, and hang neatly.  Shirts should be hung ready for the closet, and pants should be clothes pinned for creasing down the middle of the leg, or at  waist band. Smooth out remaining wrinkles.  

For those who are well versed in this laundry lesson, remember that if you remove your clothes too early they will wrinkle.  If you remove them after they have fully dried they will be wrinkled AND crispy.  Towels and linens should be fully dried with dryer balls or unscented dryer sheets.  Fold linens immediately.  They will wrinkle crumpled up in a dryer or laundry basket.  Non-wool sweaters should be partly dried and air dry flat to avoid stretching. 

Dear readers, are not obsessed with laundry, I write this lesson with a light heart.  We all have our hobbies, and cooking delicious meals is not mine.  I will gladly accept posts from domestic chefs.  My husband will gladly print and pass them on to me.

1 comment:

If you do not own a profile, choose "Anonymous" to leave a comment. Sign your name, for a reply. I look forward to hearing from you!