Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mary Holds Their Hands


google image

A moment from Benjamin's baby days remains etched in my heart forever.  A newborn, Benjamin was hungry, wet and crying.  Emily, his two year old sister, not brimming with independence, stood on the stairs in her princess, big girl underwear waiting to be dressed.  It was half past eleven.  She had eaten a cupcake for breakfast and was sipping out of the bottle I neglected to ween her off of before her brother entered the world. 

The messy house would wait until Benjamin's nap, or until one of the children turned eighteen.  Turns out it's going to be when six children become old enough to vote, that my house will finally be clean.  I needed to control something so I began changing Benjamin's diaper and told Emily, "Go put socks on."  


My two year old looked as if I had just asked her to vacuum the living room.  She had never opened a dresser drawer, let alone put her socks on.  It sounded fun, and she was up to the challenge.  I watched her toddle up the stairs by herself, and my heart ached.  Emily went from my baby to Benjamin's big sister, in one single request.    

                                             

Once upstairs, Emily carefully hung off the edge of her bed to get her socks out of the top drawer.  With several attempts she slid both socks on; pink footies on top, but nevertheless, on.  I changed Benjamin and nursed him; and the only one prouder than Mom, was Emily.  My sadness was in 
vain.  Rather than my sock request becoming a sad memory, it became a joyful milestone.  


Parenting is a temporary gift.   I am called to raise my children to become independent, faithful Christians.  A dear friend told me that when you do not want to let go of your growing childrens' hands, remember that Mary, our mother in Heaven, will  hold their hands for you.  Just like my sock memory, her advice is worth cherishing.


Two years later, in 2002, Emily continues her big sister role.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not own a profile, choose "Anonymous" to leave a comment. Sign your name, for a reply. I look forward to hearing from you!