Thursday, March 21, 2013

Not So Perfect Blogger

A week ago my sister-in-law and I lamented about what you are reading . . . blogs.  She reads blogs.  I read them and write this work-in-progress.  Post writing is a pleasure.

It is the social media I am not sure of.  Besides calling Twitter, "Tweeter" and tweets, "twits," I have no earthly idea what I am doing on facebook.  In December, I joined facebook under my name and found a couple hundred current, high school, college and job related friends.  Being the consumate traveler of guilt trips, I panicked.  It would be rude not to respond to every cute new puppy or engagement announcement.  If a facebook friend posted their first grade child's grade point average on their wall, I'd have to post something else about my children.  Perhaps I would brag that my twins land on the center of their bed when leaping off the top of their dresser.  I deleted my facebook page.

But, I had to get the word out about this blog.  So I began a blog facebook page.  Since February I have incurred five followers and two likes.  I do not know how to import my email list; and even if I mastered sending friend invitations to my two hundred connections, they would decline my invitation, not knowing what the heck a Catholic Teacher Daydream is anyway.

The conception of Catholic Teacher Daydreams was two-fold.  I desired an opportunity to write about a topic that would help others.  Although I adore homemaking I am not an expert; as four boys have created a rather unattractive house for me.  I can see it now; a post about cleaning bathrooms, "Every day you must bleach and scrub your toilets, lest you stand outside the bathroom door and yell at your young men,"DO NOT SPRINKLE WHEN YOU TINKLE!"  It is a hopeless situation I am not called to write about at this stage of my life.

Since I have taught in the classroom and home for several years, I decided to focus on Catholic education instead.  I am experienced and knowledgeable about educating in the faith, and fond of teaching.  That joy has been transparent to my slowly growing blog audience.  But, I coveted my blog idea for a second reason.  My husband has been working full time since I began home educating eight years ago; and I yearned to earn some extra income for our large family.  Unless one counts $1.33 in affiliate earnings, I cannot call this endeavor a success.  However, I excell in self-deprication and will humbly take advice from experienced, successful bloggers reading this post.

Which brings me to my last point about blogs, and back to my sister-in-law, who is also well versed at knocking herself down a notch on the self-esteem ladder.  She and I observed that when we read blogs we begin to feel inferior to the authors.  Yet, it is not the bloggers who are making us feel poorly about ourselves.  We assume that because experts know an abundant amount about one topic, they are the authority in every subject.  Most importantly, their lives are perfect because of their expertise.

My sister-in-law is on top of the world after running six miles on
her treadmill, until she reads runners' blogs.  There is a mother of three, out there in the blogosphere,
that ran a marathon on Saturday, then Sunday she ran another six miles.  My sister-in-law ran a few marathons, but could  barely walk to the car afterward.  So, she compares herself to "Running Blogging Girl" instead of the vast population that cannot run a mile (myself included), then suddenly feels defeated.

I read education sites.   New teaching philosophies that I am uncertain I want to approach make me feel too traditional.  A unique lesson creates blogger envy in me.  A home school advises saintly patience while I am hollering at my children to be quiet, so I can read her blog.   And, yes, I am drinking Diet Coke and eating baked potato chips, instead of yogurt smoothies, while I read bloggers' healthy recipes.

So, what must my sister-in-law and I do about this travesty in the blogger world?  We need to avoid the assumption that everyone else has it all together.  Blogs are for sharing what we are good at, but we are not good at everything.  God made us in His image, but gave us human qualities.

God made my sister-in-law a pipsqueek.  With today's safety laws it is amazing she isn't required to use a booster seat when she drives.  For her to run six miles is an accomplishment.  Perhaps the runner she reads about is 5'11 long legged, lean and fast, but a terrible cook who puts her children in front of the television while she runs.  Maybe not, but God knows she is not perfect.  And I choose to focus on a teacher's amazing lesson that should earn her a nobel peace prize for best home schooler in the twenty-first century.  I forget the posts when home school parents threaten to quit half-way through the school year or complain about their teenager half a dozen times in one paragraph.

Women need to support one another, rather than envy one another's successes.  Kindness and prayer are the benefits of sharing our stories.  My sister-in-law will keep running.  I will continue this blog, despite my lack of income and knowledge about direct tweeting. When I read honest accounts of failed lessons or crabby toddlers, I will comment with an encouraging word.  And when they share their success stories I will celebrate with them!   Now, if someone could just tell me how to join Pinterest . . .


*If you are reading this post because you subscribed by email, please link to Catholic Teacher Daydreams at the bottom for Literature recommendations and lessons.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not own a profile, choose "Anonymous" to leave a comment. Sign your name, for a reply. I look forward to hearing from you!