Sunday, April 21, 2013

Finding Homeschool Happiness





Our family's primary purpose of home education is to grow closer to God so that someday we might meet Him in heaven. Although this mission involves sacrifice, it doesn't have to be drudgery. Sacrifice means giving yourself to the Lord. In that giving, we find joy.

As the school calendar draws closer to summer, and we are a little tired of one another and a lot tired of books, we must reflect on how we can continue our family's journey happily.

Pray. When our sixth child was born I panicked because her siblings were not learning for several weeks.  A veteran home educator suggested I pray that God would hold my older children's hands until life calmed down. I told her I would, and raced to finish baby's laundry, forgetting to get on my knees.  Life did not settle down and I didn't relax until I finally surrendered to prayer. When families pray, we praise God for His gifts and ask for what we need.  God gives us strength and guidance in the home.


Keep it fun. Playing and pretending is how preschoolers learn. Allow time to review math with games. Read literature instead of textbooks whenever possible.  Picture Bibles are wonderful additions to faith formation.  And there are entertaining educational videos that are waiting to be checked out at the library.  Don't  forget the world outside your classroom brings delight.  Waiting to be discovered are nature, baseball diamonds, ski hills and field trips. 

Stay organized and follow a routine. Spring arrives and we are tempted to toss our books everywhere, let the clutter pile up, and call it quits for the day.  The telephone, talk radio, or a good book are calling Mom's name too. But it's important to stick to the daily routine of school when your family isn't out and about. Finish the goals set in September.  Keeping school supplies and houses tidy will keep us joyful, too.  A break from school to clean and freshen up your home will do wonders for your mood.

Be social.  Family and friend get-togethers, church activities, sports and after school friends and activities are social avenues for teaching children how to work and play with others.  We invite friends over often and accept invitations gratefully so we can enjoy people outside our home school. 

Remind one another why we chose home school. Displaying prayers, crosses, Holy images and religious books reminds us about how much we love God and how we are His flock. Let God remind us that we chose home education to know and love Him.  

Our children provide reminders about home school happiness too:  My twins remind one another that they like home school because they would be in different classes at "regular school." Legos, his action Bible and chapter are my third grade son's favorite parts of school at home.  My older two would miss being able to talk about God, and my preschooler said the magic words, "I'd miss you Mommy."

My youngest's revelation is true for me too.  I'd miss my children if they were at school all day.  Happiness, for me, is home schooling and praising God together.  "Let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you (Psalms 5:11-12).





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not own a profile, choose "Anonymous" to leave a comment. Sign your name, for a reply. I look forward to hearing from you!