Friday, December 28, 2012

December Music and Literature


The First Christmas boasts bold, beautiful illustrations.  Heyer retells the Nativity for young hearts and minds, but does not stray from the authenticity of the Gospel.  My children stopped me half-way through Heyer's lovely book, so that they could hold their nativity set figures while I read.





When Santa can't find animals to drive his sleigh, he advertises; and you won't believe who applies for the job!  Find out when you read this creative, fun story called The Reindeer Christmas by Moe Price.  The illustration of Santa walking through the woods alone, by Morozumi,  is worth the entire price of the book.





The Fussy Angel is a must read for children and busy moms.  Jesus' angel attempts perfection for his little king, but his manger friends aren't cooperating.  When our little hero becomes exhausted, he is struck by a surprising thought: as long as Jesus is a part of our messes, everything is divine.  Wouldn't it be lovely if Christians remembered this revelation from author, Mary Arnold, at our own Christmas homes?



Our family takes this book off the shelf every advent.  We try different activities each year, and students never tire of the stories and prayers.  Written by Joan Marie Arborgast, published by Pauline Books and Media, 2004.                                                                        






According to my children this 1993 cd from Harry Connick Jr. called Where my Heart Finds Christmas is "really, really old."
Despite it's antiquity it is a family favorite.  The favorite song playing through out the day, is "(It Must've Been Ol') Santa Claus."





Mom's favorite, and as old as Harry Connick's cd.  The first song on this lovely cd, "Do you Hear What I Hear/The Little Drummer Boy" can be heard in our house on any given day during Advent.  We have used it for little homemade pageants, while the children play the star, shepherd, drummer boy, and Holy Family.



2 comments:

  1. It was wonderful to see my picture book THE FIRST CHRISTMAS on your December Music and Literature list. Thanks so much for your kind comments. I loved hearing that your children held their nativity figures while you read! You can check out some of my other Christmas books on my website if you have the time. http://www.carolheyer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to hear from such a wonderful author. My children will also be excited to hear that one of their favorite authors wrote a comment on "Mom's blog." I'll be sure to pass your blog on to my readers.

    ReplyDelete

If you do not own a profile, choose "Anonymous" to leave a comment. Sign your name, for a reply. I look forward to hearing from you!